Thursday, January 3, 2008

No Way

I visited Spotlight this evening and the kids were both in bed when I returned. I checked on them just before and Adrian had not shut the window or blind. Normally the window is open a small amount for some fresh air and a touch of coolness. The blinds are drawn up to the window opening to keep out the light of the morning, my feeble attempt at getting them to sleep longer than dawn!

In the process of fixing the situation, I moved Caleb's 'torch'. It was a present from the Telfer family. There is a light part, wheels, handle and a noisy part. The noisy part hadn't bothered me . . . after years of training I can ignore (some) recurring sounds. It was sitting next to Caleb's bed sticking out a bit too far.

Self, pick it up gently so to not make noise, and relocate to quiet spot so it doesn't accidentally get touched.

You see, you turn the torch light on, but the noisy part starts when absolutely any part of the contraption moves.

I must have moved a wheel 1/5000 of a millimetre. It starts chugging and choo-chooing. It cuts through the quiet still air like a megaphone.

Self, you *idiot*!

I wait for noise or movement from either little person. Nothing. Phew.

I continued fixing the blinds and all was good. Self, exit room now while the situation is good.

Self. Kicks. Thomas. Torch. On. Exit. Of. Room. It starts chugging and choo-chooing, again.

I grabbed it and ran out of the room, bursting into giggles when I was a few metres away from the alleged scene. I could not believe it. Trying to keep quiet and leave the room safely and I am like a moving, talking, dancing clown. I only need big colourful boots, curly coloured hair and a honky horn and I could be a professional!

Unbelievable.

No comments: