Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I Think You Call This a Rant?

I always try to get the kids in their new clothes to make sure they are the best fit before I remove the tags. I would prefer to go up a size and get a bit longer wear if something does not have a little growing room. Zali got some lovely clothes for her birthday, and here she is modelling some.

Firstly down the catwalk (back fence) Zali has on a Bonds denim skirt with back stitching detail. Part of the new 'layering' range from Bonds is this delicately soft and precious long sleeve top. Perfect fit, thank you Janene, Jim and Amy. Lovely choice.

The back view looks so cute (wish I could say that about me!). Yes, huge tags bulging out. You would be happy to know they are now removed.


Next is the lovely spotted pants-suit from Kerry, Damo and Riley. The back view shows more detail like the frilled hem, cross-over back and matching pink spotted belt with white trouser. The little curls just make it all a bit cuter. Again, great fit, thanks guys!


See this little girl above? Do you think she is an overweight, hefty girl with obvious eating problem, who *must* sit around sedentary all day in front of the television watching soaps and eats lollies, chocolates, chips and cake for breakfast, lunch and dinner accompanied by Coke? And have you read/heard from various media outlets about the increase in eating disorders and the like? Keep all this in mind when I say this . . .

(p.s. did I mention I am livid?)

Doctor Fantastic has said she needs to trim down and vary her diet, if she doesn't she will need to visit a dietician. Did I mention she is TWELVE MONTHS OLD!

We need to get on top of it now so she doesn't begin bad habits, he says. Forget the fact she is not walking. Forget the fact that she doesn't eat most fruits and yoghurt due to an intolerance which produces big rashes over her face. Forget the fact that she has consistently been on the top of the scale for growth, which has very much slowed and she is starting to lose some bubby fat. We know, we are the ones who cuddle her!

I am *not* listening to this jacka#%^ called a doctor, he can stick his opinion up his stethescope. She is a cuddley, healthy, happy BREASTFED baby. Yes, she still has heaps of breastmilk, by her own choice, did he consider this chapter in her little story? She has not weaned off her milk and loves it to death. She has half to one weetbix for breakfast, a vegemite sandwich and banana for lunch and dinner is some sort of concoction of meat, vegies and pasta. Snacks include things like arrowroots, bananas, custard, hot chips occasionally, and drinks heaps of water. She is not a huge eater, Caleb ate way more in comparison.

And what does this mean for me? Am I not responsible in her care? Is it the fat mother who overfeeds her child? Can I not be trusted - oh hang on, I already have one healthy trim child, but no, I don't have any idea what I am doing.

I reminded him she doesn't eat much fruit due to her rashes. Have you tried apple and pear, he says. Am I a freakin idiot? How many times have you examined this child? Shoot me now, I need to be put out of my misery.

The fact is, if a twelve month old child is being judged and controlled (before they can even walk!), we live in a very very sad and pathetic society. Give her a chance.

I hope in six months when she is running around and lost all her chubby and is still a loving, happy, healthy girl, I can look back at this and laugh. Right now, I just want to smack him hard and give my little girl a hug.

Summary: when she is walking/running, she will burn off some chubby. Within the next few months she will no longer be drinking the fatty breastmilk. When she handles and tolerates more fruits and yoghurt and whatever else, she will have these included in her menu. This isn't brand spanking new research I am discovering. Any idiot could work that out.

Am I making sense here? Is anyone on my side, or do you all think I am a porky idiot mother who should have child services remove both the children before she can do any more damage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail, I feel you girlfriend! My doctor....who is no longer my doctor told me Macey was too fat, and needs to loose weight. If I wasn't holding the baby, I could have punched her in the head! I was so offended, wanted to cry, stuck up my attitude. Couldn't believe it. She told me to stop feeding my baby crap, let her play on the floor instead of leaving her sitting in the rocker, high chair, play pen. I nearly cried. She didn't seem to care Macey was only 9 1/2 months old. I have trouble keeping my little girl still, she has ants in her pants!
Macey has on her daily menu

Wake up: 240mls formula
Breakfast: 1/2 - 1 weetbix
Snack: cubes of fruit - small handful
Lunch, 1/2 a vegimite sandwich & 1/2 banana
Snack: grapes, milk arrowroot bici
240ml formula
Dinner: serving of vegies & meat
240 mls formula
Now does it look like I feed Macey crap? No. So I don't understand why this doctor tells me my daughter is too fat and I feed her crap. I went to the health nurse and told her what she said, she was shocked!!! Macey & Zali are just perfect just as they are. And of course beautiful! Bloody doctors! Where did we find them?