Thursday, February 28, 2008

Operation Carindale

We drove to Carindale, got a decent park and piled out of the car. In through the sliding doors we proceed to be greeted by our first obstacle - the travelator. Caleb does not really like these. He wants to hold the hand that is holding Zali's hand plus the backpack. I turn contortionist and manage to get everyone's hand while still holding the bag and my balance.

7 seconds after we walk away from the travelator, Zali spots some low lying power points and runs off to flick the switch. Standing my ground with Caleb waiting by my side, I wait for a little girl to appear realising Mummy is leaving. Nope. Little girl realises only few steps to run to get back to travelator and takes off there. Meanwhile Mummy thinks, hmm, this standing my ground business is not working, better get her and keep going.

Where is she? Hmm, ok Caleb can you see her? Looking over the top of the massage shop/stand I see a few people gathering near the travelator and I think, self, I bet there is a little girl over there. Holding Caleb's hand I quickly walk over and there is Zali looking innocent holding an older ladies hand. 'She's mine' I say and reach for her hand. Lady replies 'she was standing at the travelator!' 'She run to play with the power points a minute ago' I said without thinking.

The look of dissatisfaction from both ladies for losing my child was one thing, but the look of shock when I mentioned her 'playing' with power points was when I realised maybe I should have shut my mouth, said thank you and walked away. Instead I said, 'she likes playing with switches'. Oh crap. Walk away Mummy, just walk away.

With one hand each we walk away calmly (with Mummy well aware that said older ladies are still staring in shock) and head to the next travelator towards the hairdresser. Hope they aren't on fast dial to Child Services.

Regular travelator activities - Caleb is hesitant, has to grab my right hand, Zali ready to jump and play and has no fear, Mummy trying to wrangle both plus bag. At the top we manage to exit safely before Zali prepares to leap on the downwards trip.

I half walk/half drag her a few steps away so others don't walk over us. The hairdresser isn't quite open so we head down to the toilet. Zali stands still, then sits in defiance. C'mon, let's go. Grunt, lays down in the middle of the walkway. She is such a drama queen. She kicks off her shoe, then happily picks it up and runs over to hand it to me. Few more steps towards the toilet and she turns back to original place of crime. Thankfully that is short run and she comes back when I open my arms for a big cuddle.

I *carry* her to the toilet and Caleb does his business. Out we go to the hairdresser and we get in pretty quick. Haircut goes well, Caleb is loving the water spray and 'spritzing' anything in sight (that word is purely for Liz!).

We walked down to see the fish swimming in the little pond under another travelator. Zali wants more travelator play and turns to go back. Commence drama queen tanty again. I let Caleb walk to the fish a few metres away and wait for Zali to come. Thankfully she doesn't made a noise when she plants herself on the ground, no screaming kicking crying type thing, just a grunt as her bottom touches the ground. She comes over and wants a cuddle then happily watches the fish swimming.

After I secure two $2 coins we keep the Wiggles ride busy for two songs. We hop off and get a balloon each from the Westfield enquiry desk and start heading to the car. All is well until Zali sees another ride. On her bottom she sits. I had to pick her up when another boy wanted to actually get on the ride. I held her around the belly and headed to the final travelator.

Hold my hand Caleb (who is on another planet with his new red balloon), but he shakes his head. *Then* he realises it is travelator time and shites himself. I had stepped on the moving metal and couldn't reach him, so a lady behind says she will hold his hand. All good. At the bottom I put Zali down to reposition everything and pick her up properly.

Sigh. She darts straight back to the upwards belt and puts one foot on. Said foot starts moving up and slowly disappears from the other foot. She does the *splits* then falls on her bottom. I try to grab but too late, we are doing a loop-the-loop ride of travelating. I sing out to Caleb to stay there and we will come back down.

Still on his other planet and waiting patiently, when he hears me he gets a fright seeing me on the moving metal with Zali so another lady turns back and accompanies him up. At the top I hold Caleb's hand, carry Zali and hold on to our bag with a spare pinky, and on the moving metal we go again. I didn't let either of them go and head straight to the car - do not pass go, do not collect $200.

We arrive home safely and have a freshly cooked apple and blueberry muffin and cold water while Mummy sits down. Phew. Would you believe all this was in one hour? If that isn't enough to make me feel incompetent, not sure what is!

Honestly, I think *my* family should have a reality television show. Or is there enough comedy on the screen already? Are you surprised I generally don't take my angels to the shops? However I totally understand that a huge, brightly-lit, brightly coloured cave would seem like a never-ending, thrill-a-second playground to a little person. The whole world is adventure.

Enjoy your adventure!

4 comments:

Jill said...

Oh you are funny alright! I used to make comments about power points and just be joking then realise people took it seriously. Don't worry just make sure you write it down and next time try to snap some photos of these events to scrap....hahaha! I've had my daughter throw her shoe at my head in Carindale Target. That was fun! JJxxx

Anonymous said...

OMG, that is just so funny!
It does hapen to other people! I thought it only happened to me and Macey!. Thank you for making me feel normal! Mwah!
xoxoxox

Liz Weber said...

LOL Gail oh I so love reading your "spritzy" happenings.

OMG no wonder you never want to go shopping with your two "angels" - I really need to come with you one day so I can see all this in action.

Sorry to laugh but seriously you make it sound way more fun that it probably is.

Glad you all got home safe and I do hope you and your mum enjoy your "holiday" as you REALLY REALLY NEED IT.

See you when you get back :-)

Terri B said...

I shouldnt be laughing BUT OMG I cant help myself! I can see it all playing out in my head...especially the 'walk away mummy' Its just like its me really.