Thursday, December 20, 2007

Adult Work

That is right, today I am doing adult work. Paid work. Appreciated work. No-one is hanging off my dress burying their vegemite stained mouth on me. No-one is grunting at me. No-one is saying 'Mummmmmy, Mummmmmy, Muuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmyy! It feels a little strange.

I have been told that I look lovely (I have a dress on, makeup and diamante sparkling), I have been thanked and given a present. That also feels a little strange. Could definitely get used to it, but I think if I was a regular here, perhaps the compliments wouldn't be coming so think and fast. I will just live in the moment and enjoy it.

It is very quiet. I miss hearing 'It's a Hi5 Christmas' though. It is a lovely DVD with great songs . . . hmmmm, does that sound sad? I am playing it just as much for me, the kids do benefit as well though. Caleb is learning Christmas carols and constantly asks where Santa is, Zali loves dancing to it and I love us all being happy.

I do like a bit of time away from the kids but it doesn't take long for me to miss them. I miss the cuddles and kisses and hanging out. Hmmm. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, is that the quote I am looking for?

The noisy staff here have left. They had breakfast and games in the main boardroom, which also dribbled out into the reception area. They have all jumped on a bus and heading somewhere north to a boat, or water, or someplace that has food and drink. I don't need to know, I only need to know where the breakfast leftovers are. The gorgeous Ida gave me that important information, so I am set.

I feel a little full. This relief reception gig is *tough*! Miss Ida did a delivery of punch, chocolate danish, ham & cheese danish, sliced fresh fruit, crackers and an assortment of cheese. There is a box of chocolate covered cashews sitting next to the computer that I have been instructed to eat. The pressure - you have no idea. I don't think I will need to raid the leftovers for a while yet. I also think the vegemite sandwich I bought with me for lunch will not be vacating it's warm and comfy position in my bag.

Let me think. There is one other person on our entire floor. The place is quiet. The phones aren't ringing much at the moment and I am a lady of leisure. I get paid for this. He he. It is only one day a year, but I think I will make myself available for it next year also. The management and staff have a whole day Christmas party/End of Year Celebration. Not bad at all.

I wanted to update about the last few weeks, but I think I might read my magazine instead. Or surf the net. Perhaps I should have bought in my scrapbooking.

Kiss kiss.

No comments: