Saturday, October 6, 2007

Project Haircut

was a success!

Friday afternoon Caleb, Zali, Mel and I headed over to Carindale. Thank you for helping Mel! Caleb still wasn't fussed on getting a haircut, but, it had to be done. Thankfully the place we went to at the beginning of the week were busy, so we dropped in to Price Cutters and could get two appointments (in approx 30 minutes).

We walked around and shopped and browsed for a bit. Caleb ran and jumped and had a ball, in this huge adventure playground other people call a shopping centre.

I was worrying so much about the haircuts, I made myself sick. Couldn't eat any lunch, the calm sit down and eat ice creams and chippies afterwards was where I could just chill and wind down and take a breath.

Back to the action. While we were standing waiting, Caleb and Zali were both starting to get bored. The kids had been driving me crazy all day and by this stage, as well as working myself into a tither, my patience was on short supply.

The hairdresser, Alex, called us in. Caleb fussed around and didn't want to get in the chair. I sat him up there, then Alex took over. He talked to him and encouraged him and then sprayed water on him. Caleb giggled. It all turned into a game when he was given the water bottle and sprayed everything in sight. All good. Alex talks constantly and is fantastic. He is just perfect to cut children's hair (prob. adults as well but that wasn't the purpose of Project Haircut), and made us all feel at ease.

However, Alex is very keen on himself! He will tell you, don't worry! I think he likes the end chair in the shop so he can perve at all the women walking past. Caleb was spraying Alex and me (and the entire shop) so said he would point out a nice lady who was walking by for Caleb to spray water on so they could have their own wet tshirt party. I said he was a bad influence. Caleb was just sitting there giggling spraying water and being sprayed.

Zali got her haircut next. She sat up high on the chair, and had the look on her face like 'what. is. going. on. here?!'


She did fabulously for her first ever haircut! She smiled and clapped and loved seeing the world reflecting in the mirror. Meet Alex, who thinks he is god's gift to women. When I asked him if he minded being in the photos, he said 'no worries, make sure you show all the girls!'


This photo shows perfectly what went on. He really did talk to Zali, he told her that she isn't the only one who can talk 'baby language' and made all sorts of odd baby sounds. As I said, he was really good with the kids. So glad to accidentally find him. He helped made Project Haircut a success and we will go back when Project Haircut II launches.


We headed off to Maccas for a treat. Zali had an ice cream (dropped half of it on the highchair leg) and a few chippies. Caleb had half an ice cream, half a burger and a chocolate milkshake. They were happy, Mummy was happy. Happy that they both had haircuts, happy that it was a fun experience, happy that now I could take a breath, un-knot my stomach and start to calm down. Mel was definitely calming to have around and helpful with the kiddies, very much appreciated her!

This is the first photo, taken last Saturday, of Zali walking! She is totally loving it. She walks around as much as possible now and is really happy with her new skill. Very cute.


Monday afternoon I pushed Caleb and Zali on their trikes (my poor arms) down to the park. We met up with Ida and Macey for a play. Everyone enjoyed themselves, but do you think white trousers was a good idea?

They were pretty filthy, the bark happily left them with black feet, knees, hands, faces and everywhere in between.


I have a whale size headache and tablets don't seem to be working. Now I have shared some photos (finally) I am going to bed. My plan is to wake up headache-free. Good night.

No comments: