Monday, August 18, 2008

W.T.S

Hmm, in case that looks like a swear word, I was going to beginning this exciting chapter with . . .

Where To Start . . . . hmmmm . . . .

It has been pretty crazy for the past week. The birthdays went well for both Grandma and Zali, but remember me mentioning Zali was a little unwell. That lasted all week with a very cranky and miserable girl. Yesterday it got worse. Very miserable, hot skin to touch, lethargic and slept lots. After going to bed well, she was awake before 11pm coughing and upset and she was upset being tired and wanting to go to sleep, but feeling sick and couldn't fall asleep.

There is a Caleb issue to add to this, but I shall keep you in suspense!

She was upset from the minute she woke this morning. She lay on me most of the day like a sleepy koala (very unusual for her), her eyes are sad, her face red, her body hot, her throat was hurting from her cough, watery eyes and slight runny nose. Sadly Amy has been sick also, so she stayed home to be with her Mummy. Caleb's issue meant he didn't go to little school - doh! I had two clingy miserable children - poor little things.

I had been keeping an eye on Zali's temp as her skin was so hot. It was up, but ok. Janene called this afternoon to say Amy had a middle ear infection and was commencing antibiotics. I checked Zali's temp again and I got a 39 degree reading. Made a doctor's appointment and sat rocking my lifeless little girl in the GP's room at 6pm waiting out turn.

He noticed her uncomfortable swallowing (she didn't want to open her mouth, she held the big paddle pop stick in her teeth) and said most likely the throat is sore, her chest was rattley and for a short while he wondered if the infection had travelled into her chest (but he did rule out any pneumonia). His temp check revealed she now had a 39.7 problem going on. I took off some of her clothes and I had to cool her down (we have to work hard on getting fluids into her). To combat her bacterial infection I had to commence her dosage of antibiotics straight away and could help relieve her with three hourly doses of Panadol and Nurofen (alternating each time). She also had very red and sore (inside) ears - he said she is very brave cause they would have been causing her a lot of pain.

I dropped her off home with instructions of fluid and a cool cloth for her hot little head. I drove like a lifetime member of the Holden Precision Driving Team to a chemist to get my hands on the medicines needed and hot-footed it home.

I loaded up the syringes with medicine and took in some chopped tinned fruit. Zali has never been keen on medicines, but she took these very well. I have been saying every chance that the medicine will help her feel better, maybe she is listening? She ate some fruit - I think the soft coolness of it was attractive, which is great - the first and only thing she has eaten all day, plus she was keep to have little drinks of her water. I took her in the shower with me and she was asleep shortly after. The doctor said tomorrow would be pretty similar until everything kicks in.

Right, Caleb. He was the (un)fortunate recipient of a nasty tummy bug, complimentary we think of our house guests last week. Finn was up all last Saturday night vomiting. Wednesday night Campbell spent the night vomiting. Saturday night Caleb had his turn. This is only his second ever dose of this type of tummy bug and he was distressed. I stayed with him on the lounge all night, thankfully he got a little sleep. Sunday night (after a pretty decent day) he had one more 'round' and then wanted to spend the night with me on the lounge again. Thank the stars for recliners!

I wanted to him recover properly and consume some food and fluids and get a little energy before heading in to little school, so he stayed home. I think he will be packed and dressed and ready for his bus tomorrow morning before the sun comes up!

This is a little long - is your coffee still hot?

Last Monday and Tuesday with two miserable little Zali and Amy's, it was tough. I had to get on the ground to play and try and keep them happy, but this had a nasty outcome for my left sciatic muscle area. I had trouble walking for a few days and was in pain. It slowly improved and now I am walking much better but need to be very careful.

Saw my Obstetrician Thursday as he was concerned with my rising blood pressure. Well, it had risen more and I had traces of protein in my erm, wee. I had headaches, pins and needles, dizziness and all fun sorts of things. The cause of my probs (other than being a bit of a faulty oven for my bubbies) was my blood pressure. I had to start tablets straight away to reduce it and I have to go back this Thursday for another check. The baby is going really well though, active little guy and likes to make himself known. Today when Zali was resting her head on my belly he gave her a big kick and her head bounced up and down!

Schedule for this week: a slow and cuddly day with my sick little girl on Tuesday, well-being and growth scan for baby on Wednesday, Thursday see my Ob and Friday Caleb and I are off to the Royal Children's Hospital again for therapy.

Ok, I need more panadol so I shall end this exciting chapter here . . . is anyone still reading anyway?

1 comment:

Jill said...

Things are never dull for you guys. Hope you are all feeling better soon. I did post but it didn't show - when is your due date? JJx