Friday, May 30, 2008

I just had a quick check of my photos to see if there was something I could share with you. I really must be not myself lately - I haven't taken one single photo since 17 May. I can't believe it. I was still pretty crook at that point and I don't really have full mojo back, but I am going to have to put in more effort.

I didn't even get a decent photo with Caleb and his arm casting. It didn't help that the second one was applied on a Thursday and he pulled it off Friday night. The third one was put on better - hung on until the Tuesday (after another Thursday starter) when he was jumping on bouncy castles and running around like a mad duck at the picnic for Under 8's week at little school. When he arrived home on the bus at the end of the day, the cast was hanging very low with his thumb totally hiding and his four fingers nearly covered. It was the running chasing Zali when we picked her up from kindy where the 'incident' happened.

With his arms swinging wildly and the wind rushing through his hair, he tore down the path to find his sister and . . . the cast *flew* off. It was funny to see from where I was standing and it surprised him. He stopped and picked it up out of the garden and said 'oh, my arm fell off'. Brought it up to me, turned around and tore back down the path.

The good part about the arm coming off the second and third times is that the OT didn't need to use the nasty saw to remove the casting - which Caleb totally hated. We could just go in and watch Teletubbies or The Wiggles while they made another one. Side note: he was actually supposed to have three castings, it wasn't re-applied cause we are naughty, it was re-applied to stretch his fingers and arm differently.

Now he has little hard splints that the OT made on Thursday. One is for 'rest' time, which stretches out his fingers and separates the thumb. The 'active' splint allows his fingers to be free so he can operate normally at little school and so forth, but it separates his thumb. It is to keep working on the muscles and flexibility the casting has started. Tonight when I held his hand out and looked at his fingers they were very relaxed and straight and beautiful. He made really good positive steps with the casting. Very happy.

No comments: