Saturday, September 18, 2010

Going for a Walk

Thought I would be brave and go for my first walk since I last had my stomach sliced open. Wound is healing well and I wanted to tire the kids out. I have grand plans until things get underway and my thoughts change to . . . what the hell was I thinking?

Griffin is belted in the pram to eliminate an escape. Two small excited dogs are clipped to a lead. (an excited) Caleb and Zali hold an excited dog each. A bathed and fed Sage is left with Daddy and off we go.

Sigh.

At the first corner Bubbles eyes another dog, walking with its owner, that obviously screamed out in doggie language - quick! come here and play with me! She gives a pull, Zali trips over a piece of cement (?) and Bubbles is running off as free as a bird.

My eyes nearly pop out of my head. Zali is laying flat on her belly on the ground looking at Bubbles as she escapes. Escapes onto a busy road. Gulp.

Across the road the man with the other dog stops. Bubbles comes to her senses, her hearing kicks back in and she hears us screaming, calling, squealing, leaping (and that is just me!). As she turns and heads back across the busy road, Caleb starts walking out on the road with Buttons. Did I mention that the oncoming car had stopped, giving plenty of distance to this comical show happening in front of it?

My eyes pop further out of my head. What is he thinking?

Gulp.

Bubbles, come here. Zali, stop squealing you are scaring the dogs. Caleb, off the road, now. Now! Bubbles, come *here*. I wave and mouth a 'thank you' to the stopped car and sing out thanks to the bloke who stopped walking to help the crazy lady with too many kids and dogs.

At this point I was ready to roll my eyes with a 'what was I thinking'. The eye roll took over and they pretty much rolled back in to my small brain. Pretty handy since I was about to poke them back into their sockets anyway.

Did I mention this was at the first corner of our walk?

No comments: